Rice, Wheat and Sugarcane are the main crops grown in the district. The source of irrigation is perennial and non perennial canals supplemented by tub wells. Rice and Wheat are major food crops while Rice dominates with an earning of about Rs.15 millions as foreign exchange. Besides, Jawar, Bajra, Mash, Moong, Masoor, Gram, Maize, Tobacco, Oil Seed such as Rape/Mustard and sunflower are also grown in minor quantities in the district
Guavas and Citrus are main fruits grown in the district. Besides, Peaches, Jaman and Banana are also grown in minor quantities in the district. The major vegetables grown in the district are Potatoes, Cauliflower, Turnip, Onion, Peas, Carrot, Tomato, Ladyfinger and Garlic. Besides, Bitter Gourd and Chillies are also grown in the district in minor quantities.
The Agriculture Extension Department plays a vital role in the transfer of different technologies regarding cultivation of various crops through their extension programme and special campaigns to boost up the per acre yield. Efforts have been made through farmers' training and distribution of literature at village level to use disease free, cleaned and graded seeds, recommended varieties with enhanced seed rate / plant population, improved method of sowing, i.e., use of irrigation water resulting in significant increase in per acre yield.
The major input for Agriculture production is certainly the supply of irrigation water and it is precious too due to high cost of diesel and electricity charges. Hence, in order to reduce water losses through watercourses, efforts are being made for improvement of watercourses by the proper gradient and lining of watercourses. In this regard, Water Management department has been working very efficiently to improve watercourses under the project NPIW.
Functions of the Agricultural Extension
The major functions of this Department are:
- Administrative, financial and technical control of the field formation in the district
- Achievement of area and production target of crops
- Implementation of crop production strategy including agronomy and plant protection prepared by Provincial Agriculture Department
- Preparation of detailed training schedule of all trainers within framework of phases decided by the Provincial Agriculture Department and dissemination of production technology through training program in every village of district
- Feedback of researchable problems to Provincial Agriculture Department
- Identification, preparation and implementation of projects approved by the competent authorities
- Implementation of agriculture laws
- Ensuring the availability and quality of agriculture inputs
- Management of agriculture extension farms and gardens
- Services matters relating to the district cadre
- Purchase of store and capital goods
- Participation along with requisite data in review meeting held by Provincial Agriculture Department
- Feedback to Provincial Agriculture Department on the above as per time-to-time instructions
- Dissemination of Agricultural Production Technology to the farmers
- Coordination with National Building Departments
- Bench mark survey for policy making assigned by Government
- Work as bridge between farmers and researcher