Aims and Objectives
The main objective of the Directorate General of Labour Welfare is the maintenance of industrial peace and ensuring the welfare of industrial/commercial workforce. This is achieved through implementation of labour laws and extra-legal efforts. Besides, the Directorate General ensures the implementation of Weights and Measures Laws. The Industrial Relations Institute imparts training to the officers of the department, trade union leaders/workers and various cadres of the management. The Centre for the Improvement of Working Conditions & Environment functions for the improvement of safety, health and working environment at the workplaces through training, awareness and advisory services.
- Maintenance of industrial peace and harmony in the province of Punjab.
- Settlement of industrial disputes through the process of conciliation, arbitration and adjudication.
- Coordination with District Labour and Human Resource Boards, dissemination of labour market information and implementation of government policies in this regard.
- Adjudication of claims of compensation and cases of non-payment of wages.
- Registration and De-registration of Trade Unions/Federations.
- Conducting of referendums for determination of Collective Bargaining Agents and supervision of election proceedings of Trade Unions and Federations.
- Audit and Scrutiny of the Annual Returns/Funds of Trade Unions and Federations.
- Enforcement of labour welfare laws on factories, Transport, Railway, shops, commercial and industrial establishments.
- Implementation of Government Policies and programmes for the gradual elimination of child Labour.
- Coordination of Government efforts combating the issue of Child Labour and Bonded Labour.
- Registration and de-registration of factories, shops and commercial establishments.
- Enforcement of Weights & Measures laws on Factories Shops, Establishments including Petrol Pumps.
- Training in various disciplines of Industrial Relation, Administration and Financial Management to the Departmental Functionaries, Trade Unionists & Management Representative at Industrial Relations Institute.
- Provision of training, information and advisory services to the industry for improvement of safety, health and working environment of Working Conditions & Environments.
- Distribution of Marriage Grants, Talent Scholarships, Funeral Grants, Management and Distribution of Education cess.
- Allotments of Plots and estate management of labour colonies.
- Promotion of employment opportunities, collection and dissemination of labour market information and assistance to the defense forces by provision of data on skilled personnel.
- Controller Weighs and Measures
- Center for Improvement of Working Conditions & Environment / Industrial Relation Institute