Directorate General of Mines & Minerals, Punjab
This is an organization for promotion of minerals in Punjab Province. It was functioning in the Directorate of Industries & Mineral Development since 1964. The independent Department of Mines & Minerals was created in 2002 by the implementation of National Mineral Policy. It is to mention that National Mineral Policy 1995, acts as a guideline for formulating the polices of the Provincial Department of Mines & Minerals. The main objectives of the Department as elaborated in the National Mineral Policy are:
- To enhance the contribution made by the mining economic activity to GDP
- To lend support the social uplift programmes
- To expand the employment opportunities
- To enhancement of skills
- To sustain development of minerals bearing areas
- To expand business opportunities for local industries
- To increase revenue flow to the Provincial and Federal Government
- To transfer Technology
- To develop regional infrastructure and an improved data base of Pakistan’s mineral resources
- The Director General Mines & Minerals
- The Director Resource Mapping
- The Director (Environmental Facilitation & Infrastructure Development)
- The Director Minor Mineral
- The Director Small Mines Assistance/Titles
- The Director (Information Promotion & Services)
- The Director Adminstration
|Director General Mines & Minerals||Top|
- To supervise the Licensing/Regulation of the mineral activity in the Province and coordination for overall policy and strategies for the future of the mineral industry in the province
- To act as Appellate Authority for minor and major minerals (Small Scale Mining)
- To perform duties as Licensing Authority for Large Scale Mining
- To coordinate private & public mineral exploration and development activities in the Province
- To represent the Province on Committees for the strategies and coordinate activities with the Federal Government and Geological Survey of Pakistan and other allied Mineral Institutions
|Function and Duties of Resource Mapping Division||Top|
Resource Mapping Division was established in pursuance of the National Mineral Policy 1995 in the light of recommendations of AUS AID w.e.f July 01, 2002. Core functions of the Resource Mapping Division are as under:
- To identify minerals resource potential in the province for improvement of industry and Government decision making in resource management
- Undertake Geological / Geo Physical and Geo-Chemical Surveys
- Undertake collaborative programs with GSP for Geological, Geo Physical and Geo-Chemical Survey
- Develop relevant GIS applications for map and report presentation
- Carry out basin studies to identify & determine factor controlling coal & other resources
- Promote / establish and up date Geo-data base
- Compile and improve regional data to delineate areas of economic mineral deposits
- Provide cartographic and field services
- Develop formats for various types of presentations
- Assessment and mapping of mineral resource potential
- To execute and monitor departmental scheme for prospecting, exploration and evaluation of the mineral deposits in the province
- To monitor the mineral prospecting and exploration activities in public and private sectors
- To provide advice for grant of mining concessions in the viable areas with respect to simultaneous working of various minerals with each other. The Director Resource Mapping to chair or be a member of internal boards and committees providing advice and recommendations to the executive and present the department at external meeting
- Organization Chart. The Resource Mapping Division headed by a Director
- (BS-19) consists of five sections given as under. Each section headed by a Manager of BS-18, assisted by Deputy Manager of BS-17 of same discipline. The sections are as under:
- Geological Mapping
- Basin studies
- Geophysical Survey
- Mineral Data & Geo-Chemistry
- Cartography & Survey
|Functions and Duties of Environment Facilitation Division||Top|
The functions & duties of the Environment Facilitation & Infrastructure Dev. Division are spread through out the Punjab Province however, some important functions are given as under:
- To facilitate environmental approvals
- To promote environmental awareness and management. Study of environmental impact and preparation of restoration/rehabilitation schemes
- To establish operating and rehabilitation guidelines
- Assistance to mine owners in preparation of environmental impact assessments and mitigation measures to control the environmental impact
- To prepare development plans and schemes for provision of infrastructure facilitates in mining areas
- To ensure implementation of rules and regulations relating to environment, framed by Mines & Minerals Department
|Functions & Duties of Minor Mineral Division||Top|
The Minor Mineral Division, Directorate General of Mines & Minerals Punjab, headed by Director Licensing Minor Mineral, Punjab performs its regulatory work under the part 4 (i.e. Minor Mineral) of the Punjab Mining Concession Rule, 2002. The minor minerals are granted through open auction. The Governor of the Punjab is pleased to constitute the Auction Committee as follows in each District to conduct auction of leases for minor minerals:
Director/Licensing Authority for Minor Minerals advertised an advertisement in the National Press for vacant/likely to be vacant blocks for auction situated in all Districts of the Punjab Province. Secretary, District Auction Committee of the concerned district registered the interested persons/firms party for auction after completing all the codal formalities and conducted auction on due date. All the offered bids are recorded on bid sheet which is duly signed by the Chairman, each member of committee and participants at the time of auction.
Secretary, District Auction Committee sent the bid sheet after recording necessary recommendations on the bid sheets to the Licensing Authority for decision. The Licensing Authority took the decision on the received bids. The Secretary District Auction Committee issued offer and rejection letters as per orders of the Licensing Authority. After fulfillment of the entire codal formalities the allotment letter is issued to the successful bidders.
|Functions and Duties of Director Small Mines Assistance/Titles||Top|
- Facilitate the Small Mining Industry by provision of geological and mining advise; assistance in the preparation of work programme; and the procedure for approval of licenses and No. Objection Certificates (NOC) etc. Advise on new technology, methods and information to improve efficiency in the industry.
- Represent the department in the conducting of meetings with relevant personal, other assigned parties and co-ordinate appropriate matters arising from such meetings.
- Provide a community liaison and education role for environmental management and assist the Inspectorate of Mines in the task of introducing reform in Health Safety and Labour Welfare to the Extraction of Construction Materials Identify Community environmental impacts.
- Co-ordinate regional resources through Director Titles and Licensing.
- Establish and create and Industry Development plan for extraction of construction materials that strategically provide access to resources, Protection of resources, management of community responses and an appropriate development plan for all resources.
- Liaison with other relevant managers on resources development issues.
- As a “facilitator for industry, assist to process license application and obtain consent and approval.
Function of Small Mines Assistance
To promote effective and efficient exploration and mining practice by Small Mine Operators in the province by the provision of practical geo-scientific and technical mining advice and assistance and contribute to the improvement of the industry by assisting with formulation of appropriate policy.
- Facilitate small mining/ quarrying operations
- Provide technical advice and services to Small Mine Owners including geology, efficient mining and treatment methods, and environmental/ rehabilitation advice
- Assist applicant to gain necessary approvals for licenses and work plans
- Facilitate landowner/ operator issues
- Coordinate with the Mines Committee, Titles and Licensing Division and Inspectorate of Mines for titles approvals
- Provide advice on processing and marketing for small mines
- Liaise with Titles and Licensing Division and the Inspectorate of Mines for developing legislation appropriate to the Small Mine Owner
|Functions and Duties of Information, Promotion & Services Division||Top|
- Undertakes, collect, store, publish, develop, coordinate and disseminate the data of minerals assets to facilitate the geo-mining entrepreneur
- To develop a database regarding concessions, productions, royalty and other payment accounts and technical data for the preparation o large scale regional maps essential for the short and long term planning to meet the ever increasing future demands of the mineral sector in an efficient manner
- To provide a reliable information base of minerals for future planning of the province, country and for the mineral sector
- To develop a network for interaction between international mineral sector and the country
- To study trends and facilitate the local and foreign investor sitting at a distance to know more about investment opportunities and other activities of mineral sector
- To Establish Mineral Geo-data Centre and Mineral Display Centre to facilitate, train and assist the mineral sector for enhancing investment opportunities
|Function and Duties of Adminstration Division||Top|
The Administration Division is a service division and its prime duty is to ensure the development of a good work ethic and high morale within the department and:
- Provide essential corporate services for the Directorate General of Mines & Minerals, Punjab and the Divisions of Director (Mines & Minerals) including strategic planning
- Prepare comprehensive annual reports of the department activities and expenditure
- Arrange records management and documents storage of files
- Provide assistance for recruitments & promotions through notified Departmental Selection Committees, Departmental Promotion Committees ad Punjab Public Service Commission
- Provide liaison with the Directorate General of Mines & Minerals, Punjab, the Secretary to Government of the Punjab, Mines & Minerals Department and Minister for Mines & Minerals, Punjab and Co-ordinate Administrative procedure to meet the requirements as specified in law.
- Provide assistance to the Divisions to pursue the cases before the Competent Courts of Law / Tribunals.
- Supervise preparation of material for consideration for Directorate General of Mines & Minerals, Punjab, Secretary to Government of the Punjab, Mines & Minerals Department & Minister for Mines & Minerals, Punjab.
- Provide assistance in implementation Law, Rules, Regulation & Schemes to the subject.
- Develop and monitor the Department’s Legislative Program and Policy frame work.
- Provide adequate distribution service for mail, notices, new publication and releases, etc.
- Provide maintain and Co-ordinate appropriate transport for the department.
- Provide Computer facilities, technology and training to staff.
- Arrange training & higher qualification facilities in & out side the country
- Develop computerized file and records management and delivery systems
- Supply administrative support, financial services, human resources management, induction and training strategies fir career development for the staff of the Department of Mines & Minerals
- Keep the confidential record, Annual Confidential Reports of the officers & Staff, Enquiries reports / record in order & safe
- Co-ordinate for hiring office accommodation on rental bases and sanctioned rents as per assessment of concerned Authorities
- Administrator the Royalty, Rental, Fee Systems and be responsible for their collection in co-operation / co-ordination with Director, Licensing (Minor Minerals), Punjab & Director, Small Mines Assistance / Tiles, Punjab.
- Maintain budget, expenditures accounts and ensure accuracy for audit
- Provide relevant statistics and advice in the economic & commercial as required for the minerals industry.
- Monitor financial transaction of Licensing & Small Mines Assistance / Titles Divisions
- Supply appropriate financial advice to the Directorate General of Mines & Minerals, Punjab and Divisions and co-ordinate the budgetary process
- Assist the Project Directors in implementation of their projects and monitor funds allocated for projects under their supervision
- Assist the Divisions with the legal aspects of contracts etc
- Co-ordinate the flow of information between the department, other Government agencies and the Minister
- Attend inter corporation among Directorate General of Mines & Minerals, Punjab of other three provinces
- Provide planning, evaluation and resource management for the department
- Supply analytical and interpretive data as a basis for allocation of resources