From B.C. To Mughals
The history of Sheikhupura goes back to 100 B.C. Historical research has established the fact that Sangla or Sakala was the capital of Punjab. Few signs of the attack of Alexander on the Sanglah Hill can be found in the history. Some remains of old buildings in the form of mounds can be found in the surroundings of the city which had been there before Islam.
Sheikhupura is not such an old city but its surroundings contain an immense historical importance. The founder of Sikhism Gurunanak preached and helped the needy in Talwandi (Nankana Sahib).
An important town of Sheikhupura District Sanglah Hill which is at a distance of 59km, historians has said that the famous Chinese tourist Hwen Thsang came to Hindustan (Pakistan and India) in 633A.D. During his journey he came to Rajwari from Kashmir, from here he crossed the River Chinab while moving towards South East. The he moved to She-ye-pu which could be the present Hafizabad and then he moved to Sanglah Hill.
Shah Bilawal is one of the saints from the Silsilah Qadriyah. He was the son of Syed Usman and grandson of Syed Eysah. Syed Eysah came to Hindustan from Harat along with Mughal Emperor Hamayon. The king gave Sheikhupura along with the surrounding towns to him. Shah Bilawal died in 1636.
The great Emperor Nor-u-Din Muhammad Jahangir laid the foundation of historical Sheikhupura. The mother of Jahangir was Hindu and she lovingly called him Sheikhu Baba. The new city was also named as Sheikhupura.
In the North East, at a distance of 2.5 Miles, a hunting place was built. A Baradari was constructed in a pond and on its bank. Jahangir ordered to build the grave of his beloved Dear Mansraj along with a tomb. This place is now known as Hiran Minar. Jahangir granted all this area to one of his faithful Sikandar Moin, after his death it was given to Irdat Khan.
During the reign of Emperor Jahangir (1605 to 1627), Sheikhupura had the status of royal hunting ground. In Tuzke-Jahangiri, Jahangir wrote during the events in the 1607.
In the middle of the 18th century, Sikhs were ruling this area. In the last decade of the 18th century, Arbail Sigh and Amer Singh were involved in robberies. People from Sheikhupura requested Maharajah Ranjeet Singh to save them from these robbers.
Both Arbial and Amer singh were forced to evacuate the Sheikhupura Fort and all their property and wealth were taken by Maharajah. Maharajah gave this area to Khawar Karrak Singh. After the death of Karrak Singh (1840), Rani Jandah became the ruler. She was a very clever woman. She went under surveillance by the English in August 1847 along with her brother in Sheikhupura Fort.
In March 29, 1849 the English took hold of the whole Punjab.
Under British Rule
In the beginning, a temporary headquarter was built here, but in 1851, it was transferred to Gujranwala. People from the surroundings of Sheikhupura used to go to Gujranwala for justice. Due to this inconvenience, Secretary Chief Commissioner wrote to the Department of Finance that Sheikhupura should be given under the control of District Lahore but that could not happen.
In 1889, a private Post Office was built. In April 1907, Sheikhupura and Shadrah were connected through train. In 1920, Tahsil Sheikhupura was upgraded to District Sheikhupura. In the Beginning, courts were arranged in the Qila Sheikhupura but then in 1922, under the supervision of Sir Ganga Ram District Courts and hospitals were also constructed. In 1924, it was decided to construct a new town between the Civil Quarters and Civil Hospital. This newly constructed town was named as Gurunanakpura which was replaced with Jinnah Park after Partition. In 1930, Muslim League was introduced here. In the 21st annual meeting of Muslim League held on March 22, 1940, seven people represented District Sheikhupura in the meeting. In November-December 1931, the city was provided with the electricity.