The Local Government & Community Development (LG&CD) Department has been assigned the responsibility to implement Punjab Local Government Ordinance (PLGO) 2001 to achieve the stated objectives of the Devolution Plan. Moreover, the LG&CD Department has an over-seeing role to ensure that the local governments perform their functions within the provincial framework and observe to the federal and provincial laws.
LG&CD Department aims to assist and Guide local governments in creating an empowering environment for independent and trustworthy decision making to improve service delivery in the social sectors and boost socioeconomic development of the local areas.
The functions and responsibilities of LG&CD Department have been redefined under the new Local Government System created under the PLGO-2001. LG&CD Department:
- Acts as Administrative Department of Local Governments.
- Acts as Secretariat of Provincial Local Government Commission.
- Acts as member on Provincial Finance Commission (PFC) established under PLGO-2001.
- Acts as appellate authority under the Appeal Rules in terms of matters relating to the Local Governments
- Issues directions to the District Governments under section 128 of PLGO-2001.
- Implements Punjab Local Government Ordinance-2001.
- Vets taxation proposal of Local Governments as provided under PLGO-2001.
- Approves budgets of Local Governments under section 112(7) of the PLGO-2001.
- Executes and coordinates Foreign Aided Projects.
- Manages Local Governments, particularly TMAs and Union Administrations.
- Formulates public policy and its affirmation
- Updates laws, rules and providing guidelines for the working of Local Governments.
- Issues policy guidelines to the Local Governments on salient issues, in Public interest in Punjab.
- Coordinates with Federal/Provincial Government Departments, allied agencies as well as all the three tiers of local governments on the issues pertaining to the new local government system.
- Recruits and administrates service personnel working in Tehsil Municipal Administrations (TMAs) and Union Administrations.
Applications are invited for following Posts: