Sectoral Policy of Govt. of Punjab includes achievements of Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) within the stipulated period for provision of Water Supply & Sanitation facilities effectively, efficiently and on sustainable basis. In order to achieve the above targets substantial financial resources have been provided to the Sector as under:
|(Rs. in million)|
|2008-09 (R.E)||2009-10 (R.E)||2010-11 (R.E)||2011-12 (B.E)|
As a consequence of this enhanced resource provisions the achievements of MDGs in various sub-sectors is as under: -
|MTDF Targets and MDGs:|
|Description||Population Coverage (%)||Projected Year of Reaching MDG||MDG’s Targets 2015 in %|
|Urban Water Supply||66.2||71.9||75.5||83||85||87||2009-10||80|
|Rural Water Supply||30.8||32.7||36.1||38||45||48||2020-21||65|
|Urban Sewerage/ Drainage||68.5||72.0||76.0||79||83||85||2010-11||82|
|Rural Sewerage/ Drainage||41.3||43.8||48.6||50||53||56||2015-16||70|
Following key strategic interventions have been identified through the proposed resource provision:-
- Ensuring sustainability of the completed projects through community participation and motivation.
- Enhancing Rural Population Coverage particularly in Barani, Brackish and Contaminated Areas.
- Equitable resource distribution, main focus to the low profiled Districts.
- Ensuring quality control by providing Water Testing Facilities and through provision of Water Filtration Plants.
- Improving sanitation and environmental sustainability.
- Capacity building of PHED.
- Ensuring sustainability of the completed schemes through community participation and motivation.
- Attaining Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
- Operationalization of Non-functional / of Rural Water Supply Schemes.
- Replacement of outlived water supply pipe lines for eradication of gastroenteritis in 15 cities of Punjab.