The Housing and Physical Planning Department (H & PP) was created in August, 1972 by replacing the West Pakistan Housing and Settlement Agency with a single attached department named the "Directorate General Housing & Physical Planning" at Lahore. Later on, the Improvement Trusts at Faisalabad, Gujranwala, Multan, Rawalpindi, Sargodha and Murree were placed under the administrative control of Housing & Physical Planning Department during 1973. Improvement Trusts ultimately were converted into Development Authorities except for Murree and Sargodha. In 1978 Public Health Engineering Department (PHED) was placed under the administrative control of Housing & Physical Planning Department. The Department was renamed as Housing Physical & Environmental Planning (HP & EP) in 1978 and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) was created as its attached wing. In 1996 Environmental Protection Agency was detached from Housing Physical & Environmental Planning Department and was made independent provincial Department. Finally, Housing Physical & Environmental Protection Department was given the name as “Housing, Urban Development & Public Health Engineering Department (HUD & PHED)” in 1997 to depict Urban Development Authorities and Public Health Engineering Department as its main organs.
The Directorate General of H&PP Punjab has been revamped as “Punjab Housing and Town Planning Agency (PHATA)” under the PHATA Ordinance, 2002. The said agency has been effectuated w.e.f., 01.04.2004 with the objective of rejuvenating the housing sector in general and provision of shelter to shelter-less low income groups in particular.
The present Organization of HUD & PHED consists of the following:
- Punjab Housing and Town Planning Agency (PHATA)
- Public Health Engineering Department (PHED)
- Lahore Development Authority (LDA)
- Rawalpindi Development Authority (RDA)
- Gujranwala Development Authority (GDA)
- Faisalabad Development Authority (FDA)
- Multan Development Authority (MDA)
- Water and Sanitation Agency, Lahore
- Water and Sanitation Agency, Rawalpindi
- Water and Sanitation Agency, Gujranwala
- Water and Sanitation Agency, Faisalabad
- Water and Sanitation Agency, Multan
- Traffic Engineering and Transport Planning Agency (TEPA), Lahore
- Parks & Horticulture Authority (PHA), Lahore
- Parks & Horticulture Agency (PHA), Faisalabad
- Parks & Horticulture Authority (PHA), Multan
- Improvement Trusts (Murree & Sargodha)
Public Health Engineering Department (PHED)
PHED strives to enhance the quality of life of the people of Punjab by providing Safe Drinking Water in Brackish, Barani and areas where ground water is contaminated or otherwise unsuitable for drinking purposes and to provide Pollution Free Environment by Executing Sewerage / Drainage Schemes and Construction of Sewage Treatment Plants to meet the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) for the Sector (Executional Role).
Declaration of Assets