To provide technical support to the Public Works Department during the pre-independence days, a small laboratory under the name of Soil Stabilization Sub Division was established in 1944. This laboratory was later on upgraded as Building and Road Research Laboratory after independence. In 1962, the Communication & Works Department was re-organized and separate Building Research Station and Road Research Institute were created.
The Road Research Institute was modernized under an aided program in 1971 and renamed as Road Research and Material Testing Institute and shifted to its present premises on Canal Bank, Lahore. The Road Research and Material Testing Institute has provided very valuable technical support in the shape of pavement design, testing and analysis of road construction materials, evaluation of existing pavements and provided solutions to various problems faced by the field engineers of the Department.
The Institute is working under the supervision of a Director in the Punjab Highways Department (North zone). The following technical staff assists the Director:
|Deputy Directors (BPS-18)||2|
|Senior Research Officers (BPS-18)||2|
|Junior Research Officers (BPS-17)||4|
In addition, technical and non-technical support staff also assists in carrying out various testing and research assignments. Staff of the allied units is in addition. The total present strength of staff is 131.
- Soil Section
- Aggregate Section
- Physical Section (Cement/ Concrete/Bricks)
- Chemical Section
- Bituminous Material Section
- Concrete Section