Special Education is a field of studies specially designed to meet the educational requirements of the disabled children especially, hearing impaired, visually impaired, mentally retarded and physically disabled.
- Legislation and policy formulation for special education.
- Matter relating to education and vocational training of special children.
- Teachers training in special education.
- Printing of Braille Books and other reading material.
- Development of curriculum for special education.
- Sports of special children and other related matters.
- Campaign for public awareness, social integration and friendly environment for special children including their economic rehabilitation.
- Centers of Excellence, Research Centers and Building of Database for Special Education.
- Budget, accounts and audit matters.
- Purchase of stores and capital goods for the department.
- Service matters except those entrusted to Services and General Administration Department.
- Administration of the 'Punjab Private Educational Institutions (Promotion and Regulations) Ordinance, 1984' and the rules framed there-under
- Matters incidental and ancillary to the above subjects.
- Special Education is a devolved subject up to district government level.
- Annual budget for running the Special Education Institutions is being provided by the respective district government.
- Development budget under Provincial ADP for opening new institutions, up-gradation / strengthening of existing facilities is being provided to districts governments (Account-IV).
- All services to special students is being provided absolutely free in Special Education Institutions through the districts governments.
- Recruitment and service matters of employees in BS-1 of Special Education Institutions being done by Respective district government.