Mines and Minerals
The Mines and Minerals Department, Government of the Punjab aims for the development of mineral resources, to enhance the exploration, exploitation of mines and mineral resources in a safe and environmentally sound manner in order to support a more productive economy in Pakistan. Pertaining to this mission, Mines and Minerals Department:
- Enhances the contribution made by the mining economic activity to GDP.
- Lens support the social uplift programs.
- Expands the employment opportunities.
- Sustains development of minerals bearing areas.
- Expands business opportunities for local industries.
- Increases revenue flow to the Provincial and Federal Government.
- Develops regional infrastructure and an improved data base of Pakistan’s mineral resources.
- Grants and transfers prospecting licenses and mining leases
- Conducts geological Surveys
- Develops mineral resources and regulation of mines
- Grants mineral concessions
- Regulates the mining activities
- Does resource mapping
- Sustains development of mineral bearing areas.
- Expands business opportunities for local mineral based industry.
- Increases revenue flow to Provincial Government.
- Environmental Facilitation & Infrastructure Development: The functions & duties of the Environmental Facilitation & Infrastructure Development Division are spread throughout the Punjab Province however, some important functions are given as under:
- To facilitate environmental approvals
- To promote environmental awareness and management. Study of environmental impact and preparation of restoration/rehabilitation schemes
- To establish operating and rehabilitation guidelines
- Assistance to mine owners in preparation of environmental impact assessments and mitigation measures to control the environmental impact
- To prepare development plans and schemes for provision of infrastructure facilitates in mining areas
- To ensure implementation of rules and regulations relating to environment, framed by Mines & Minerals Department.
Assets and Liabilities