District Jhelum is located on the Eastern part of the Pothohar upland along with River Jhelum. Dissected basin plains, mountains, ridges and trough upland, weathered bed-rock plains, alluvial fans, pied mount plains and basin plains are the different geological types of land in this area.
In ancient days Jhelum was known as Jalham. This word is combination of two words Jal & Ham. Jal means pure water & Ham stands for snow. The district of Jhelum was established under the British regime on 23rd March 1849. The Head quarter of the district was Pind Dadan Khan. It consisted of tehsils of P.D. Khan, Chakwal and Jabbi. In the same year tehsil of Rohtas was also transferred to this district from Rawalpindi. In 1850, Jabbi was abolished and new tehsil of Jhelum was constituted.
In 1857 Talagang tehsil was transferred to Campbellpur district. Thus at the time of independence the district consisted of three tehsils Jhelum, Pind Dadan Khan and Chakwal.
During the year 1985 Chakwal district was created comprising Chakwal, Talagang of Attock & substantial part of Pind Dadan Khan tehsil. Jhelum was bifurcated in two parts by creating a new tehsil of Sohawa in July, 1985.
In the year, 2003, the Tehsil Jhelum was once again bifurcated into parts by creating a new tehsil Dina. Now the district Jhelum consists of the following four tehsils.
- Pind Dadan Khan.