Executive District Officer (EDO) is the Head of this Department, who has been assigned following responsibilities in the Local Government Ordinance 2001:
- Elementary, Secondary and college education except professional education.
- Education of handicapped children, especially deaf, dumb, blind and with low vision.
- Production and distribution of educational and scientific films.
- Promotion of sports and co-curricular activities.
- Service matters except those entrusted to the services and general administration department attached
- departments and the administrative departments.
- Establishment of new schools and up-gradation of existing schools.
- Identification and formulation of development schemes.
- Formulation of District education budget (development and non-development) reconciliation of expenditure and audit matters.
- Technical and surprise inspections of educational institutes.
- Matters related to school councils.
- Periodic and regular reporting to the heads of attached department and the administrative department.